Category Archives: governors
Introduction to the Governing Body
The Governors at Harestock School are committed to school improvement. We work closely, and in partnership, with the Head teacher and senior leadership team to ensure that every child in the school has the best possible education and skills for life.
We meet once every half term as a Full Board and also meet in committees below is a link outlining the dates for these meetings. The main committees are currently: Finance and Resources, Staffing, and Learning & Standards. Once minutes have been approved by the Full Board or relevant Subcommittee at their next meeting, they are available for you to read by asking at the school office. Updates on the activities of the Governing Body are also available in Governors blog.
This “Governors” page is designed to:
- keep you up to date and provide an overview of our current work;
- let you know who we are , how we are structured and organise our work in order to carry out our role;
- summarise the role of the Governing Body;
- provide the required statutory information about the Governing Body; and
- provide you with information about applying to become a Governor.
Keeping you up to date
We aim to send out a Governors’ newsletter at least once a year to provide an update as to the activities of the governing body and its plans for the year. In 2015 we are also starting a Governors’ blog, on this website, to provide quick updates about the Governing Body and its work. We have also prepared summary reports in relation to our recent work and these can be viewed by clicking here.
WELCOME MESSAGE FROM CHAIR OF GOVERNORS – SEPTEMBER 2016
A warm welcome, on behalf of the Governing Body, to the new school year.
We very much hope that you and your children have settled into the school routine again after a good summer break. This is always a busy term: this week we welcomed our 40 new Year R children; last week we welcomed 13 new children across the school, and of course as the term progresses we will have the run up to Christmas with all the excitement of the Christmas Fair and concerts. A big thank you to all our staff and families for your work in settling everyone into the new term – thank you!
The Governing Body – how you can find out more about what we do
As a Governing Body, our role is to set and oversee the direction of the School – you can find out more about who the Governors are and our role as a Governing Body by scrolling down through our Governors page at http://www.harestock.co.uk/
At the moment, we are finalising our Annual meeting plan, which will summarise our meetings and the strategic focus of our meetings. In addition, together with Mrs Sankey, we are finalising the School Improvement Plan, which is key to our continuous improvement as a school. Both these documents will be published as soon as they are finalised so that you know more about what we are doing.
Two Governor vacancies – could you, or someone you know, be a Governor?
This year the Governing Body will be seeking at least two Governors, so please think about whether you can assist:
– a Parent Governor to replace Michelle Nye as her four year term comes to an end. Elections will need to be held in November for this post so please start thinking now about whether you might be interested and have the skills and experience the Governing Body needs in order to develop its work and drive school improvement. More information about the role, and the needs of the Governing body, will be available in due course, but enquiries are always welcome via firstname.lastname@example.org.
– a Co-opted Governor to fill an ongoing vacancy. We would very much like to bring the Governing Body up to full strength and so will be updating our assessment of the skills and experience we need to add to the Governing Body. Once we have completed this assessment, more information will be published through our webpage and Hampshire County Council’s Governor vacancy service, so if you know someone who you think can contribute to the work of the Harestock Governing Body, please mention this to them. In the meantime, our current advertisement and information can be found on our webpage.
A quick snapshot of what we do – Governor visits to the school
As well as our regular schedule of meetings, the Governing Body also carries out Governor Visits to the school, and undergoes training and skills development both as a full Governing Body and as individuals. Our visits are planned in advance and focus on matters such as the implementation by the school of the School Improvement Plan, implementation of policies such as Safeguarding and related policies, and how the school is making sure that the Social, Moral, Spiritual and Cultural (SMSC) development needs of our pupils is met. These visits ensure that Governors have a full understanding of the school and are able to use this knowledge to carry out the work of the Governing Body.
Keeping you more up to date – can you help us?
This year we would like to keep you more up to date with the work we are doing – last year we made some improvements in that were able to include some updates on our webpage and in the newsletter, but this year we would like to improve further. We would like to carry out a number of consultations on strategic issues, make sure our minutes are more readily available, and provide more easy to read information and summaries for anyone who doesn’t want to read minutes. If you have a particular skill in communications and would like to help us, or know someone else who could help us, then please let me know by contacting me email@example.com.
All the best for the upcoming term!
Chair of Governors, Harestock Primary School