Thinking of becoming a Governor?
Becoming a Governor is a great way to contribute to make a difference to the lives of children in your local community. We welcome applications from people who:
- are committed to developing and safeguarding our children
- want to help us achieve our Mission Aims and Vision
- have the time to commit to becoming a Governor
- are either:
- willing to learn and develop the skills we need (training is provided) or
- already have some of the skills or experience we need
Skills & experience we need
The Governing Body undertook its annual skills audit between September 2016 – January 2017 and has identified that it would particularly welcome applicants with the following skills and experience:
▪ Facilities management
▪ Financial planning / management
▪ Knowledge of primary curriculum
The following are also important to the role:
▪ governors may live locally or outside of the Harestock catchment area. We welcome applications from prospective governors with an understanding of the issues affecting the school and/or local families;
▪ able to work in a team;
▪ willingness to take part in the training and development provided.
Safeguarding our children is of paramount importance to the Governing Body. Accordingly, applicants must not be disqualified from serving as a Governor, and the suitability of applicants will be assessed by the Governing Body before appointment and throughout their appointment. All applicants will be required to undergo Enhanced DBS checking, complete the written Hampshire County Council application process (including disqualification checks), attend an interview/meeting with the Head Teacher and another Governor, and provide both written and verbal references. Appointed Governors undergo Enhanced DBS checks at least every three years.
Governors must be able to attend at least two evening meetings in person each half term; have time to read the papers in advance of meetings; be able to carry out at least one visit to School during the day each term; and be able to contribute to the general work of the Governing Body.
Click here for the documents which explain how much time is needed to be a Governor
Click here for more information (from Hampshire County Council) about becoming a Governor .
Click here for the disqualification criteria
Click here for the documents which explain the process of becoming a Governor (link to follow)
Click here for the pdf form to apply to become a Governor. Applicants to be a Parent or staff Governor should submit the completed form to the School. All other applicants should submit the form to Hampshire County Council and so can use the online form at the HCC website.
Email our chair of Governors at firstname.lastname@example.org to talk about becoming a Governor.