We currently have the following vacancies in school:
School Name: Harestock Primary School
Closing Date: 12th January 2018 (midday)
Contract/Hours: Permanent, Part-time
Salary Type: Support Staff
Salary Details: Grade C Step 1- 5 fte: Step 1 £16,209, actual salary £13,142, Step 5 £17,955, actual salary £14,558 (dependent upon experience)
Hours of Work: Total hours per week: 30
Monday to Friday
7:00 am – 9:30 am & 3:00 pm – 6:30 pm
Location of Role: Harestock Primary School, Winchester
Contact e-mail address: email@example.com
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work in a flexible manner for the needs of the children and the school
- Monitoring stocks and ordering supplies
- Ensuring site safety, e.g.: clearing paths, gritting
- General porterage duties and moving furniture, some working at heights
- Regular Lone working
- Monitor the cleaning contract to ensure standards remain high
- Being responsible for site security including the daily opening and closing of the school and occasionally outside normal hours for school events as required, attending emergency call outs when necessary
- Regular checking and record keeping to meet legislative Health & Safety requirements e.g. Fire , COSHH, legionella etc.
- Manage a programme of general DIY repairs including planned and preventative maintenance and redecoration
- Arrange and supervise contractors on site
- Take pride in maintaining the highest standards of cleanliness throughout the school site including monitoring contract cleaning and grounds maintenance works
- Cleaning duties as required
The ideal candidate will:
- Be honest, reliable and flexible, self-motivated, adaptable, organised and able to work using their own initiative
- Be professional, friendly and approachable with the ability to communicate effectively with children, adults and the local community
- Be confident using IT (Word, Outlook, Excel, in-house IT packages) and confident using mobile phones
- Have excellent time management skills
- Be proactive, practical with basic maintenance skills
- Be willing to attend training
We can offer:
- A friendly, welcoming school
- Supportive and motivated leadership and staff team
- Excellent working environment
- Full Training will be provided
- Previous Site Management experience is not essential as full training and support will be provided to the right candidate.
Harestock School and Hampshire County Council are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We will ensure that all our recruitment and selection practices reflect this commitment. All successful candidates will be subject to Disclosure and Barring Service checks along with other relevant employment checks.
Harestock Primary school Caretaker’s Job Description
Security of the Premises
To ensure site security is maintained through organising and monitoring of arrangements for:
- Acting as a key holder of the site
- Controlling key accessibility, key security and booking out system
- Checking and recording the operation of fire and burglar alarms
- Routine unlocking and locking of buildings including regular security patrols when on site
- To be contactable at all times (e.g. via mobile)
- Security of buildings, property and users during community use
To be responsible that arrangements are in place for:
- Regular checking of fire fighting equipment, alarm systems and emergency lighting and that inspections are properly conducted and recorded
- Maintaining the School Fire log book and ensure all such equipment is tested and maintain
- Regular checking and adjustment, where necessary, of heating systems
- Preparing reports for the Senior Leadership Team on the efficiency of energy and water consumption
- Regular checks of water, gas and electrical services (using smart meters) and recording of results
To oversee appropriate and efficient cleaning of the school site, to include:-
- Ensuring that emergency cleaning, e.g. cleaning of contaminated waste, is provided when necessary
- Monitoring and recording cleaning standards, and taking immediate action to ensure any problems are
- Relayed to cleaning staff and/or contractors and to senior management of the school
- Resolved at the earliest opportunity
- Liaising with County Caretaking Service to ensure expectations and standards are met.
Oversight of Buildings and Grounds
- To ensure the work of grounds maintenance contractors complete tasks to a good standards
- Carry out minor pruning, gardening tasks as required
- Advise the SLT on the signposting of the site and assist in the maintenance of an attractive welcoming school.
- To oversee and, when necessary, carry out the following duties:
- Keep pathways and open areas of school free from leaves and refuse
- Carry out litter picking and waste bin emptying daily
- Keep buildings free from graffiti
- Clean gutters, gullies, drains and sediment bowls, in accordance with existing Health and Safety guidelines
Staff management and Supervision (currently not required but may become part of the role)
- Establish manage and develop a flexible efficient and cost effective site management team
- Ensure workloads are organised efficiently fairly and monitored to achieve the best possible service to meet the changing needs of the school
- Cover for team absences either personally or by rearranging the work schedule of the team
- Carry out supervisory duties e.g. maintaining a good working atmosphere and encouraging team spirit, ensuring good time keeping, dealing with individual grievances and problems and see work is carried out correctly and promptly.
Building maintenance, repairs and redecoration
To plan, organise and monitor, with the SLT, a programme of site maintenance, repairs and redecoration, taking into consideration the SLA currently in place with the property department of the HCC, and in accordance with:
- Repair sheets generated by members of staff, including items listed in the “jobs book”.
- Preventative maintenance, through regular inspection of buildings and external areas.
- Minor repairs/replacements, e.g. light tubes, diffusers, ceiling tiles.
- Painting, decorating and minor alterations/construction work through a rolling programme and as required;
- Emergency repairs.
- Liaise with architects and external contractors as necessary to organise and monitor work
- Ensuring safety procedures and safe working practices are adhered to at all times.
- Monitoring expenditure to stay within budget allocation and advise as necessary.
- Organising for appropriate tools to be on site and that they are kept maintained and serviced e.g. vacuum cleaners, DIY tools etc.
- Identifying needs and draw up a development plan for repair, maintenance and redecoration
- Providing the SLT with monitoring and progress reports on all work undertaken.
- Liaise with the SLT about lettings, secondary cleans etc. (when required)
- Open rooms, check heating and lighting and set up as required
- Give priority to community users during ‘non-school’ time
- Ensure that all parties undertaking a letting arrangement are given an excellent service
- Be available, as appropriate, to offer community users and visitors a warm welcome and take care and consideration in dealing with their enquiries
- Give assistance to hirers holding social functions and meetings
- Ensure (during use) in and out of school hours that non-allocated premises are not used or entered into
- Ensure rooms/equipment used by hirers are left in a fit and proper state at the end of use and ready for the next user (school or community).
- Move goods to designated areas within the school as soon as possible after delivery, but no later than the end of the school day
- Move school equipment as appropriate
- Ensure rooms are set out as required for meetings, parents evenings, staff training days, ‘open evenings’, and other special occasions and cleared away promptly after the event
Health and Safety
- Comply with all rules relating to Health and Safety
- To complete and record all health and safety checks as required by HCC & HSE.
- To be site representative for the SLT
- To act as the school’s Fire Safety Officer
- To be responsible for the operating of the asbestos register
- Assist with ensuring the safe use of equipment and materials
- Monitor and secure safe working practices ensuring proper standards of Health and Safety are met
- Carry out risk assessments as required
- Monitor and review risk assessments